Futabanet Manga Plus questioned Japanese adults between the ages of 30 and 59 which artist from Weekly Shonen Jump “left the deepest impression.” After tallying the votes of hundreds of respondents, the answers were released publicly.
Artists Kentaro Yabuki (To Love Ru) and Hisashi Eguchi (Susume!! Pirates, Stop!! Hibari-kun!) tied for tenth place. After that, it goes like this:
9. Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21)
8. Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
7. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
6. Masakazu Katsura (Video Girl Ai)
5. Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
4. Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk)
3. Hirohiko Araki (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
2. Tsukasa Hojo (City Hunter)
1. Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball Z)
What do you think of these results? Which artist from Shonen Jump has left the biggest impression for you?
Danica Davidson is the author of the bestselling Manga Art for Beginners with artist Melanie Westin, and its sequel, Manga Art for Intermediates, with professional Japanese mangaka Rena Saiya. Check out her other comics and books at www.danicadavidson.com.